The first thing I thought of when I walked into Rustic and Pipe Décor in downtown Sanford was “oh boy, am I (and my wallet) in trouble!” While I am a shopping enthusiast always looking to support local businesses, what brought me in today was a class they were holding. I have always been into arts & crafts, and after addressing twenty something envelopes for a bridal shower last year, I realized that taking a calligraphy class would be not only cool, but beneficial!
I don’t usually go anywhere by myself, but after talking to my mom she convinced me it’s okay to venture out and learn new things on my own! This was definitely stepping out of my comfort zone but I am so glad I did it because it has now turned into a skill I hope to have for a lifetime! From 11 am – 1 pm I actually ended up getting a private lesson on the beautiful art of traditional calligraphy from Lynda Chandler, owner of Beautiful Ways Designs. Quickly into the
class, I realized this is for sure a lost talent because it is extremely difficult and takes patience to master. However, Lynda was so helpful and so sweet helping me learn all of her little tips and tricks on how to have as beautiful handwriting as she does and with such ease! It took me a lot of practice, but towards the end I was finally getting the hang of it. (Anyone need wedding invitations addressed? Haha!)
Although Lynda will no longer be holding classes at Rustic and Pipe Décor, she will continue to be a vendor in the store selling her handmade art and calligraphy. Her artwork is beautiful and I am so glad I took the morning to spend time learning from her.
Tammy, the store owner, will still be holding classes however, so be sure to follow Rustic Pipe & Decor on Facebook, so you don’t miss any of their upcoming classes. Overall, I would highly recommend coming into this store, (I know I will definitely be back!) whether it’s for a class or just to shop around.
Here are some other pictures I took of some cute finds that caught my eye when shopping around afterwards!
Other vendors in Rustic and Pipe Décor…
- Bender’s Nature Soap: all natural, handmade soaps
- Bespoke Southern Style: handcrafted and personalized items in embroidery and vinyl
- Caffeine & Chaos Designs: home décor and personalized products
- Custom Laser Creations: engraving on wood, acrylic, glass, metal, and ceramic as well as jewelry
- Down Home YoYo: specializes in making fabric yoyos for embellishing clothing, lamps, mantels, curtains, tables, and anything else you can think of.
- Elk & Oak Creative: Sanford T-shirts for men and women
- The Ferne Ruth Co.: jewelry
- Junk 2 Funk: updated mid-century and vintage finds
- Porch Pottery: pottery
- RoseFarm Woodshop: home décor
- Rustic & Pipe Décor: custom industrial, farmhouse & steampunk home décor designed with plumbing pipe and wood.
- Sara Simply: wood décor
- Serenity Interiors: antique glassware and jewelry
- So’Bella Vintage: refinished furniture
- Sprinkles: home décor and gifts
- Tina Dyer: home décor
- Twiddlebug Designs: home décor
- What the Etch: glass engraving
- Whimsey Pineapple: quilted zipper bags
- Wordy Arts: typed cards