Sanford does not only have its own lake, marina, zoo, historic district and college, it also has its very own international airport! And that right off Lake Mary Boulevard, conveniently located for anyone who lives in Sanford or Lake Mary.
I have never flown out of the Sanford International Airport but I have been here numerous times to rent cars when we go on “road trips”. It just makes so much more sense to simply drive 15 minutes with hardly any traffic to a small easy to overlook airport to pick up your car than driving 45 minutes into a super congested area…
Flights from Sanford International Airport are still on the pricier side when it comes to flying to Europe (which would be my main interest). Iceland Air offers flights over Reykjavik into several European cities but the rates are still high up there.However, other airlines offer great deals on national flights from here, for example round trips for under $80.00 to Knoxville, TN or Lexington, KY.
I have high hopes though for this airport and its future flight traffic. There is still lots of room to grow and everyone who has been to both Orlando and Sanford International Airport will most likely agree that flying out of Sanford is a much less stressful experience than flying out of Orlando.
Needless to say, the Orlando Sanford International airport has and will continue to bring economic growth to our area.
Airlines at this airport include (as of July 2009):
- Allegiant Air (flying to Allentown, PA; Appleton, WI; Bangor, ME; Cedar Rapids, IA; Chattanooga, TN; Chicago/Rockford, IL; Columbia, SC; Des Moines, IA; Elmira – Corning, NY; Fargo, ND; Fort Wayne, IN; Grand Rapids, MI; Greensboro, NC; Greenville-Spartanburg, SC; Hagerstown, MD; Huntington, WV; Knoxville, TN; Lexington, KY; McAllen, TX; Owensboro, KY; Plattsburgh, NY; Roanoke, VA; Shreveport, LA; Sioux Falls, SD; South Bend, IN; Springfield, MO; Toledo, OH; Tri-Cities, TN; Wilmington, NC; Youngstown-Warren, OH)
- Direct Air (flying to Kalamazoo, MI; Worcester, MA;)
- FlyGlobeSpan (flying to Belfast, Northern Ireland, UK; Glasgow, Scotland, UK;)
- Iceland Air (flying to Reykjavik, Iceland; Amsterdam via Reykjavik; Copenhagen via Reykjavik; Frankfurt via Reykjavik; Glasgow via Reykjavik; London-Heathrow via Reykjavik; Oslo via Reykjavik; Paris via Reykjavik; Stockholm via Reykjavik;)
- Monarch (flying to Cardiff, Wales, UK; Dublin, Ireland; Glasgow, Scotland, UK; London-Gatwick, England, UK; Manchester, England, UK; Newcastle, England, UK; Shannon, Ireland;)
- Thomas Cook Airlines (flying to Belfast, Northern Ireland, UK; Cardiff, Wales, UK; Glasgow, Scotland, UK; London-Gatwick, England, UK; Manchester, England, UK; Newcastle, England, UK;)
- Thomson Airways (flying to Birmingham, England, UK; Bristol, England, UK; East Midlands, England, UK; Glasgow, Scotland, UK; London-Gatwick, England, UK; Manchester, England, UK; Newcastle, England, UK;)
Here is the contact information:
Orlando Sanford International Airport
Sanford Airport Authority
1200 Red Cleveland Boulevard
Sanford, Florida 32773
BTW, the Sanford International Airport is also home to the Delta Connections Academy that trains pilots from all over the world here in Sanford FL!