2016 Spring Break Guide: Things to Do with Kids in Sanford FL
Spring Break starts next week (3/18) and as Sanford mommy I have been looking for some things to do with kids in Sanford during this break from 3/18/16-3/27/16 (Spring Break for most in Seminole County). The fact that Easter falls into this time makes it a bit easier to find fun weekend activities.
1. Friday Family Fun Night
Friday, March 18 and March 25 from 5pm-8pm
I have yet to visit one of these kids golf events (free golf if you have family dinner afterwards at the club house) but I heard they are super fun and keep the kids busy. Great idea for a double (play) date (bring along your kids’ friends and parents) and have dinner (and drinks?) while the kids keep playing and running around in the club house…
2. EASTER FUN DAY
Saturday, March 19th 1-3pm
Come out for an exciting day with the bunny. There will be face painting, an easter egg hunt, crafts, and more!
3. Night Hike at the Zoo
Saturday, March 19 7:30pm-10pm
Hurry because this popular event fills up quickly and registration closes already on March 11th! Kids 5 years and older get to go on an exciting night hike through the zoo! This nocturnal adventure includes a guided flashlight tour and various animal encounters! What a great start into spring break!!
Admission is $10-$20/person depending on age and pass holder status. Call 407.323.4450 ext. 123 for more information!
4. Spring Break Camp at the Zoo
Monday, March 21 – Friday, March 25, 9am-4pm (before and after care available for $5)
The zoo will keep your kiddos busy and it’s one of our favorite places to go. Their daily Spring Break Camp offers special activities and animal encounters but even a simple train ride (and for that one you don’t have to even buy a day pass or be an annual pass owner) will put a smile on my boys’ face every time. Another advantage is that the splash pad here is already on every day. And while requiring a higher budget, Zoom Air’s Zip Lining for kids just outside the zoo makes for an even bigger adventure! This year’s Spring Break Camp is called “Jungle Mania”. The campers head out on a daring week long exploration to find out what lives in the jungle and how animals survive. What does it take to be king of the jungle?
5. Seminole County Fair
starts Friday March 25 (through April 3)
The kids will love a visit to the annual Seminole County Fair in Sanford! Lots of fun rides to choose from and many treat to enjoy!
6. Hippity Hop Adventure at the Zoo
Saturday, March 26 and Sunday, March 27
Hop along the Adventure Trail to find clues from the Easter Bunny. Win candy, prizes and surprises at Bunny Stops along the way. Kids receive free bunny tails to wear and can enjoy crafts, a bounce slide, musical entertainment for the kids and more. Be sure to meet the Easter Bunny throughout the day and at the egg hunts both Saturday and Sunday!
This event is included in general Zoo admission; additional fees may apply for certain activities. For more information, call 407.323.4450 ext 100.
7. Easter Eggstravaganza
Saturday, March 26 at 10am
All children ages 12 and under are invited to join us for this FREE fun-filled event! the eggcitement begins with the arrival of the Easter Bunny and then the hunt begins! Don’t forget to bring your basket to fill with lots of eggs and surprises! Enjoy moonwalks and face painters.
For more information, call 407.688.5120
Kids Classics in Sanford
- Walking/biking on the Riverwalk
- Feeding the ducks at the pond by the senior center
- Play at Park on Park: the shadow of beautiful oak trees makes this the most idyllic playground in town and even on hotter days pretty bearable (you’d be surprised)
- A visit at Ft. Mellon Park playground and (currently only open on weekends, $2) Ft Mellon Park Splash Pad: can’t beat playing on this huge playground and then cooling off on the splash pad.
- Sanford Derby Park
Racing down the hill at Sanford’s Derby Park is so much fun! We love to bring the kids’ “vehicles” aka tricycle, bike and Plasma car with us and have them race all they want. After that, the Derby Park playground is another favorite of mine because it is not close to the road and offers a good variety. Here is a video of a recent visit at Sanford’s Derby Park Playground (kids racing and a minor accident included).
- Sunday (or Saturday) Fun Day at La Sirena Gorda (118 S Palmetto Ave): I can not say this often enough: the fenced in garden is paradise not only for exotic cocktail lovers but also for stressed out parents who just want to relax for a bit while enjoying a meal and drinks with friends. The garden is fenced in and there are always toys to be found, so when we are out with the kids we LOVE it here! And if you stay long enough you even get to roast marshmallows over the fire pit and make some smores!
[A close second due to the fence is Wops Hops on Sanford Avenue and Buster’s Bistro (who doesn’t love those giant Jenga blocks?).]
Things to do with the kids on rainy days
How about a visit at the Seminole Towne Center mall so the kids can let out all their energy in the play area or ride train (I have to admit though, the $4 price is a bit steep)? Have you tried the stuffed ride-on animals in the center court? Definitely a treat after a shopping trip gone well…
Or if your kids are a bit older you could try a visit at the Sanford Museum (520 E First Street) to teach them a bit of Sanford’s history. You won’t be disappointed!
Last but not least, visit the Sanford Library (150 N Palmetto Avenue)! They have a great selection of children’s books and my boys’ love taking home new books each time we go! In addition to that, the library offers a fun story time, divided by age groups. The dates during Spring Break are as follows:
- Monday, March 21 at 10am: Mother Goose on the Loose: (20 minute program, birth to 18 months with adult) – Interactive program using rhymes, songs, puppets, musical instruments and more to stimulate the learning process.
- Tuesday, March 22 at 10am and 10:45am: Pre-School Stories: (30 minute program, 3 to 5 years) – Puppets, Stories, Science Experiments and more!
- Wednesday, March 23 at 3pm: Confetti Club: (45 minute program 5 years and older) – Puppets, Films, Games, Crafts, Experiments and more!
- Thursday, March 24 at 10am and 10:45am: Toddler Time: (20 minute program, 18 months to 3 years/adult) – Stories, Puppets, Music and more!
As Sanford mommy, I am curious though: where do you like to take your kids to? What are your favorite places and things to do with the kids in Sanford? Any tips you’d like to share with other moms? What would you like to see more of in Sanford? Share your thoughts below 😉