“O’zapft is!” is what we say in Munich on Oktoberfest opening day (which happened to be yesterday, 9/21/13). Coming from Bavaria I truly miss Oktoberfest season here in the US. Luckily, there are some ways to make me feel a bit closer to home during this time of the year right here in Sanford…
- Beertoberfest at Ft. Mellon Park (September 28)
- Alive After Five’s Oktoberfest in Downtown Sanford (October 10)
- A visit at Hollerbach’s Willow Tree Cafe
- A visit at Magnolia Square Market or World Market (2251 WP Ball Blvd) for some German goodies
- Putting together my own Haustoberfest with items brought from home but also things bought at Magnolia Square Market in Sanford. This year we bought an awesome, original beer bench & table set (which makes me feel like sitting in a real beer garden) and four 1 Liter Hofbraeuhaus beer steins. My picture of the day shows an impression of today’s fun Oktoberfest celebration with friends at my home. The menu included Schweinebraten (pork roast), homemade Kaesespaetzle (cheese spaetzle), Rotkohl (red cabbage) and as dessert Blueberry cheesecake (with real Quark!) and Black Forest stuffed cupcakes. Last but not least a small keg of Hofbraeu Oktoberfest beer. Add in some German music (Antenne Bayern Schlagersahne via free iPhone app) and it’s almost like being back home 🙂 Prost!
PS: Today’s picture is an Instagram collage. Are you on Instagram? If so, feel free to follow me (sanford365 – click here) for even more daily pictures!